« Home | russian roulette » | it's easier than you think » | it's a no win situation » | someone stand up for the pages! » | labels » | family dinners » | fundamental needs » | columbine » | danger in our schools » | terror in our schools »

where are the parents?

in my last post, i mentioned a young friend who drank too much this past weekend. besides her drinking, something else bothered me.

i received information about her being in the hospital from the family of her best friend (who i am actually closer to). when i finally reached them by phone, they told me that she was going to be okay and that she would be released shortly. when they said they were taking her home, i inquired about her father, whom she lives with. they told me her father had been there... for a while.

hmmm?! for a while?! what's that all about?! i would think that if your child is in the hospital - for any reason - that you would be there, too. the mother who was giving me this information said she'd tell me about it later. and to be fair, i haven't heard the whole story yet. but just the fact that there is a "story" makes me wonder what could be more important than being with your daughter in the hospital.

but this really shouldn't surprise me. i've heard enough stories where parents haven't made their children a priority. they seem to be more focused on and worry more about their own agendas, which means the kids get pushed out of the way. believe me, kids know this truth and recognize it for what it is... that they aren't important.

is it any wonder that kids are looking for love.... in all the wrong places?

About me

  • I'm youthworker4all
  • From colorado, United States
  • i am a youthworker. it's not what i do - it's who i am. i am passionate about helping today's teenagers find their way through their world. i wish more adults understood this world and would reach out to our youth. what a different world this would be.
My profile